Tutorial 2: How to install a joomla 3 template and set it as default. (Text / Video Tutorial). Level: Beginners.
For this tutorial you will require a joomla template. Before we start if you do not have a joomla template please download our latest free template for this tutorial. You can download it from here SimpleLite Download
First we must open our browser and type in the path to our joomla administration.
For this example my website is in a folder called j32.
Therefore the path to the joomla administration on localhost would be
- Login to your Joomla administration
- Click on Extensions >> Extensions Manager. If you are using Joomla 3.2 you can also click on Install Extensions link in the left column in the control panel.
- Click on the Upload package file option.
- Select the template you wish to install from your computer by clicking the browse button.
- Now click upload and install.
- You should now see a system message in a green box with the words "Installing template was successful"
- Now click on Extensions >> Template Manager. Here you will see a list of all styles.
- To set the template you installed as default simply click on the star under the default option which corressponds to your template.
If you prefer a video tutorial then please see below a full video tutorial on installing templates in joomla 3 and setting your template as the default template in the joomla template manager. If you already have the template downloaded you can skip onto 1:40 on the video timeline. Note it is best to watch the video tutorial in fullscreen hd quality.